So what have we been up to?
Mostly we have been stripping out and rebuilding the kitchen. It was all of the manky, and all of the wrong. Through the medium of awesome assistance and truck tonnes of work, we now have a nearly finished kitchen which is far more fit for purpose and twenty times more lovely. Also we all know how the plumbing works, which can only be a good thing.
Things we did as part of the kitchen work:
- replaced the taps, waste fitting and plumbing on the sink, but reused the sink as it was fine after Lloyd cleaned it up amazingly.
- put in a new worktop on the sink side, and swapped the rotten cupboards for ones from the upstairs kitchen.
- added plumbing for a dishwasher/washing machine to be added in the future if we decide we need one.
- added a run of cupboards on the opposite side of the kitchen where there were previously none. These cupboards were all reused ones from the upstairs kitchen.
- Used offcuts of worktop from around the house to add worktop on top of the new cupboards.
- took out a small hallway which led into the kitchen to make more space.
- removed a leaking radiator, which will be replaced with one on a different wall.
- cleaned everything a multitude of times.
Things we have left to do include finishing a hanging pan rack, building shelves for extra cookware and bulk food items and building shelves to act as communal food, spice and tea storage. When it's finished, it's going to be epic, and we're all feeling rather proud that we stripped and re-fitted the kitchen in the first two weeks of living here.
We have also finally finished moving everything from everyone's prior abodes, and have dealt with a variety of ad hoc DIY jobs. Amongst this there have been visitors, meetings, budgeting gymnastics and various small people learning to use screwdrivers. They do make things more complicated, but the cuteness is unbelievable.
Here we go again with a massive pic spam :)
|Stripping out all the rotten cupboards and broken plumbing|
|Making sure the new plumbing was super-sealed|
|Sven working on the plastering where we took out a small hallway|
|Getting the sink in to the new worktop|
|Improvised cooking before the second worktop went on|
|Reused worktop and cupboards on the left and new worktop on the right|
We're spending the next week or two unpacking a bit more, finishing the kitchen (lots of making good to do around the ex-hallway) and planning the enormous loft insulation job which awaits us in July. No rest for the awesome, eh?